Crockpot Gumbo Recipe – Easy, Delicious, and Satisfying
My family’s busy fall schedule + the upcoming holidays give me little time to prepare meals, so using my crock pot is a must! Every time I’ve made this simple gumbo for friends, I get tons of compliments & requests for the recipe.
Cook time: 5 hours (in a crock pot)
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes,
- 1 small can of tomato paste
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken
- thighs, cut up
- 1 large sausage link
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can reduced- sodium
- chicken broth
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 basil leaves
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 frozen medium shrimp (thawed), peeled and deveined
- 4 cups hot cooked white or brown rice
- Optional: Add cooked bacon (diced)
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste, chicken (cooked or raw), Sausage, broth, green pepper, onion, celery, Cajun seasoning, garlic, black pepper, and cayenne pepper to prepared slow cooker. Stir gently to combine all the ingredients.
- Cook this portion on low for about 2 hours if your chicken is already cooked or 5 to 6 hours if you adding raw chicken.
- Add shrimp and cook about another 10 minutes until the shrimp is warm.
- You can serve this over cooked white rice or combine the rice in the crockpot just before serving.
Big thanks to Jennifer – iSaveA2Z Blog for this yummy recipe.